My injury happened at work and Workcover paid my medical expenses, but is there any way I can recover compensation for my time lost at work and the additional stress put on my family?

Unless the application made to Workcover was for “medical expenses only”, then Workcover should be paying your loss of wages for any period of time you have been unable to work as a result of the injury, certified by a doctor.

Some times employers are happy to cover loss of wages and therefore require Workcover only to cover medical treatment expenses.

You should check with Workcover the reason why you are not receiving weekly payments for wages/salary.

However, Workcover do not cover 100% of your lost income.  Under law they are required to pay only a portion of your full salary/wage which decreases the longer you remain unable to work.

Depending on the circumstances of your injury, you may be entitled to a common law claim for damages which will take into account total loss of income in the past and also if you will suffer loss in the future.

Any impact on your ability to enjoy the full amenities of life will also be addressed in a common law claim.

A common law claim requires proof of fault so advice from an experienced lawyer is recommended.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *