I was injured in a car accident, how do I claim compensation?

If you are involved in a car accident (aka motor vehicle accident) in Queensland, and you sustain injuries as a result, it is important that you understand what options might be available to you for compensation.

If your injuries were the fault of the driver, owner or another person, whether partially or wholly, who is insured under a Compulsory Third Party (“CTP”) insurance policy, then you are entitled to make a CTP claim under Queensland legislation. This includes pedestrians, other drivers, passengers, motor cyclists, cyclists, pillion passengers or any other person who was injured, whether were inside the vehicle or not.

CTP indemnifies vehicle owners and drivers who are legally liable for personal injury to any other party in the event of a car accident. You are still eligible to make a claim even if you were partially at fault for the car accident, this just means your compensation will likely be reduced to account for your contributory liability.

CTP insurance does not protect against damage to property and only covers personal injury resulting from a car accident.

The two circumstances where you will not be eligible to make a CTP claim after sustaining an injury as a result of a car accident in Queensland is when you were entirely at fault, or where no one was at fault.

If you have sustained personal injury as a result of a car accident that was not your fault, contact our offices for a free consultation with one of our personal injury lawyers. You can contact our office on (07) 3252 0011 or through our general enquiries page.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *